Antique Shepherd's Leg Crook
• Antique Shepherd's Leg Crook.
• Leg crook with grooved back (strengthening device - sign of a good blacksmith)
• Curved sweep to leg guide
• Raised single swirl
• Groove continues all the way to the swirl.
• Mouth opening 1 inch
• Crook H in the multiple pic.
• County not known.
The shepherd was the highest paid of all the farm workers on a farm - he held the most responsibility looking after the master's flock.
This is a leg crook and would have been his everyday working crook. There are also Neck crooks, dipping crooks etc which were used only seasonally.