Antique Shepherd's Leg Crook.
Dimensions:H: 135cm (53.1")
• Antique Shepherd's Leg Crook - nicely made.
• Leg crook with grooved back (strengthening device - sign of a good blacksmith)
• Curved sweep to leg guide
• Raised single swirl
• Groove continues down the head curl only
• Mouth opening 1.25 inch
• Crook C in the multiple pic.
• County not known but came from Suffolk.
• Original rustic shaft (could be Holly).
The shepherd was the highest paid of all the farm workers on a farm - he held the most responsibility looking after the master's flock.
This is a leg crook and would have been his everyday working crook. There are also Neck crooks, dipping crooks etc which were used only seasonally.